What is the AED Loaner Program?
Tri-State Ambulance is proud to announce the inception and creation of a valuable program that will aid our community in the treatment and survival of sudden cardiac arrest victims.
Our new AED Loaner Program allows the general public to "check-out" an automated external defibrillator (AED) for group events within our service area. This program is available in the La Crosse and Prairie du Chien service areas.
Research has shown that victims of cardiac arrest have the best chance of survival when CPR and an AED are made available within 5 minutes of onset. Tri-State Ambulance doesn't take chances when it comes to the health and safety of our citizens. We strongly believe that providing AEDs to events that otherwise wouldn't have timely access to one will save lives.
What kind of event is the AED Loaner Program designed for?
- The AED Loaner Program is designed for community and family events that do not have easy or timely access to an AED.
- Family reunions, concerts, golf outings, group nature hikes, races, festivals, weddings, and large church gatherings.
- If two or more requests are received for the same date(s), preference will be given to the event or gathering with the highest risk potential based upon the American Heart Association guidelines.
How do I obtain the loaner AED for my event?
- All events that wish to acquire an AED must designate one person to be responsible for the equipment.
- The responsible party must view a short tutorial video on how to safely operate the equipment.
- There is no cost to borrow a loaner AED but we must have a credit card on file for the group or borrower to ensure the equipment is returned intact.
- A liability release form must be signed which places this AED and borrower in the "Public Access Defibrillator" category.
- Call Kristi Ceason at (608) 784-8827, Option "0" to reserve your date.
History of our AED Loaner Program
Gundersen Tri-State launched this program in the La Crosse area in 2009. As of June, 2014, , AEDs have been loaned to community members more than 50 times for numerous area events and gatherings with a combined attendance of approximately 150,000. In 2011, a loaner AED was used to successfully defibrillate a patient in La Crosse County. Tri-State Ambulance has added a second location with a loaner AED in Prairie du Chien, WI where on AED can be "checked out".